Our Solstice retreat opens gently on Sunday afternoon with a welcome reception with light refreshments as participants arrive at the boat landing during the afternoon and evening. You will have free time for settling into your rooms and exploring the lodge and island and you may eat dinner at your leisure. Sunday evening around 8 p.m., we will have an opening circle for introductions and orientation.
The daily schedule will include two writing workshops, yoga and meditation, outdoor adventures and humorous competitions (yes, get ready!), evening fireside chats and bonfires, and of course the fourth annual ritual dock jump in honor of Mary Ann Johnson!
A detailed schedule will be presented the first evening of the retreat.
Stout's Island Lodge is an easy 2.5 hour drive from the Minneapolis-St. Paul International airport. If flying, the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport is by far your best option, even though Google may try to send you to Madison (an option we do not recommend because flights are more frequently cancelled and delayed).
From Minneapolis, you can rent a car and drive to Stout's or arrange to carpool from the airport with another participant(s), since you will not need a car once at Stout's. Once the retreat is fully registered, we help you connect to others interested in carpooling to compare flight times, etc.
We recommend arranging the earliest possible flight on Sunday and the latest flight you can on Friday to ease travel stress. Many writers even arrange travel to arrive a day early and/or depart a day late. Feel free to send questions about arranging your travel to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 nights of lodging at beautiful Stout’s Island Lodge
- Parking for and 10-minute ferry ride to Stout's Island Lodge
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner each full day // All meals (excluding opening night dinner on Sunday due to varied arrival times)
- 2/day writing workshops
- 3/day yoga and medication sessions
- Outdoor activities (kayaking, croquet, swimming, tennis, etc.)
- Writing presentation evening
- Concert by Brianna Lane
- Celebratory, super-fancy closing, dinner (in previous years we've "dressed up," so you may want to bring something fun to wear that evening!)
- Summer Solstice Eve candlelight yoga and intention setting session
- First-day dinner and last-day lunch
- Alcohol is available, but not included. Participants who choose to imbibe are asked to do so only after scheduled events and do so responsibly.
- Transportation to and from Stout’s Island Lodge
- Damages or incidental fees
- Independent excursions
- Money order
After March 15, full payment is required at time of registration unless you've arranged an alternate payment plan (see "Alternate Payment Plans" below).
We want you to be able to attend. Please call or email Jeannine to discuss an alternate payment plan (e.g. smaller installments). Full occupancy may affect the availability of alternate payment plans.
If you need an alternate payment plan (e.g., four smaller payments over a longer time) please email or call. Alternate payment plans may be available depending upon full registration. We want you to be able to attend if possible.
No, don't cancel! But seriously, we do understand that sometimes, things happen. After March 15, we regret that no refund is available, but your retreat fee may be transferred to another participant if mutually arranged and agreed upon with Elephant Rock.